Child and youth health
05 June 2018
About this Course
This course was developed for caregivers (foster parents and whānau carers) of children/tamariki.
Many children/tamariki who come into care have experienced trauma and every child/tamariki can benefit from your ability to recognise the signs and symptoms of trauma.
This module is expected to take 1 hour - 1.5 hours to complete. You can complete the module from start to finish or return to it by section.
This course will help you:
- Understand the importance of building resilience, and fostering positive and stable relationships with tamariki and whānau.
- Understand the impact of abuse and neglect and the causes for behaviour
- Think about ways to look after yourself while caring for tamariki.
- Think about ways to maximise safety for tamariki.
- Support children/tamariki manage overwhelming emotions.
This content has been developed in 2021 by Whāraurau, a national workforce development centre for infant, child and adolescent mental health, Uniservices Ltd, at the University of Auckland with support from Family Works New Zealand and the Fostering Security training programme.
|Trauma-informed care for caregivers||Show activities|
|Trauma-informed care for caregivers quiz|