Maria will cover:
- Context / background: HAES / non-diet approach – the evidence.
- How we talk about weight and bodies.
- Cultural considerations and the impact on our patients.
- Mini case study example(s).
- If not weight, then what?
- ASDAH website
- Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease risk reduction: a randomized trial JAMA (2005)
- Weight attitudes in 3- to 5-year-old children: Age differences and cross-sectional predictors Body Image (2012)
- Implicit, explicit, and internalized weight bias and psychosocial maladjustment among treatment-seeking adults Eating Behaviors (2010)
- The Fat Doctor website
Maria is a NZ Registered Dietitian with specialist expertise in gastroenterology and the non-diet approach (Health At Every Size), and previously worked in the public sector at Waitemata District Health Board.
Maria has recently completed her PhD in infant nutrition with a focus on Māori and Pasifika infants, and currently works at Massey University teaching into the dietetics Masters program and running student-led nutrition clinics.
Maria works through a patient-centred weight-inclusive lens, helping clients to recognise and understand how weight stigma and fatphobia impact their relationship with food and eating, and guiding people to an intuitive and fearless relationship with food.